Vermeer exhibition in the National Gallery of Ireland

I've just been to see the 'Vermeer and the masters of genre painting' exhibition in the National Gallery of Ireland - fantastic exhibition - all tickets for remaining days are now sold out! It will be on display in the National Gallery of Art, Washington DC from 22 October 2017 to 21 January 2018

My favourites from the exhibition were:


Woman with a pearl necklace (c.1662) Location: Gemaldegalerie, Berlin

This is the first of Vermeer's on display as you walk into the Gallery and it immediately stops you in your tracks! Stunning!

1662, Located in Gemaldegalerie, Berlin

The Lacemaker (c.1669-70) Location: Louvre museum, Paris

I bought a print of this for my mother who loves to sew and is always making bags or quilts on her sewing machine.

1669-70, Located in the Louvre museum, Paris

The Love Letter (c.1669-70) Location: Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

I loved the composition of this painting - a brief glimpse through a doorway - you are never quite sure just what has occurred as the lady speaks to her maid!  Good news? Bad news?

1669-70, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Woman holding a balance (c.1664)Location: NGA, Washington, DC 

The beautiful golden balance was almost invisible as you looked at this painting, it was only when you peered closer that you could see the very thin line of the shining metal.

1664, Located in NGA, Washington, DC


His works are magnificent and I was spellbound as I wandered through the Gallery - the light flooding through his pictures and the graceful, peaceful figures of the women (mostly) were captivating.  In the video shown in the Gallery the previous day, narrated by Fiona Shaw, she described Vermeer's paintings as silent - and I thought that this was an unusual word, but incredibly apt!  


Comments

  1. Beautiful Siobhán, can you be my tutor? Next blog will be for your very own masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, I look forward to your Blog next ! It will be a very long wait for a masterpiece from me .... I'll leave it to the experts!

      Delete
  2. I really get the sense of your journey through the museum and was able to capture the energy of each painting. Thank you. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley - hope you have a chance to see it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts